What is the Internal Assessment?
Your internal assessment (IA) is an individual project you will be working on throughout the year. It is 25% of your overall grade within your IB exams.
Your goal during this investigation is to explore a specific piece of the topics we will cover in ESS and then apply your results to a "broader environmental and/or societal context" (Environmental systems and societies guide 2015). This means you will collect data about a local problem and then apply your results to the global issue and see what conclusions you can draw.
Disclaimer: Dates are subject to adjustment.
How long will this take?
Overall, this investigation should take you about 10 hours including time to:
What should it look like?
Your IA is a 1, 500 to 2,250 word written report. To successfully complete this report, you must:
- You can't use the same research question for your ESS IA and your extended essay. If you wish to do an extended essay related to ESS, it must be a different topic.
- All of the work must be your own. However, you can use data collected from a third party as long as the database is properly cited and you have a unique research question.
- It is NOT my job to give you a research question or tell you what to do...this is a personal investigation because it should matter to you.
- I am required to check your work for academic dishonesty. If I feel you have not completed your own work, I will not grade it. Please be authentic and honest.
- If you happen to be dishonest and I miss it, but the IB grader catches it, you may lose your diploma.
Animal Experimentation Policy